The Benefits of LEDs in Signage
Download this flyer here: Benefits of LEDs in Signage
LEDs have gained increasing attention as a creative, versatile and energy-saving alternative to traditional signs. We’ve outlined some important features and benefits regarding LED technology.
- LEDs provide 50-70% energy savings over traditional fluorescent-lit signs.
- Fluorescent lamps operate best around room temperature with decreased efficiency at much higher or lower temperatures. LEDs are not affected by either extreme.
- Fluorescent lamps produce an average of 875 lumens per foot at 100 Watts. LED lights produce 630 lumens per foot at 50 Watts, meaning LEDs produce more light per Watt required.
- LEDs are made from non-toxic materials unlike fluorescent lighting which uses mercury that poses a danger to the environment.
- LEDs are recyclable and considered “green” or Earth-friendly.
- LEDs have a lifespan of up to 50,000 hours (5 years) of constant use compared to only 10,000 hours (1 year) for fluorescent lamps.
- The long lifespan of LEDs will dramatically reduce maintenance costs and lower long-term operating costs. LED illumination does not require the use of ballasts or bulbs which need periodic replacement.
- LED lights operate at low voltages and are cool to the touch even when left on for hours.
- LEDs don’t use fragile components and are able to withstand shock, vibration, and extreme temperature.
- Fluorescents give off UV radiation while LEDs do not.
What is an LED?
An LED (Light Emitting Diode) is a semiconductor device that illuminates when electricity passes through it. An LED light is a tiny chip encapsulated in an epoxy resin enclosure.