As the leaves turn and the weather becomes crisp during the fall and winter, the calendar begins to show all kinds of holidays. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day are right around the corner. This festive season is the perfect time to use your sign for happy holiday wishes. For inspiration, check out these ideas.
Messages of Thanksgiving
While Thanksgiving isn't strictly a religious holiday, giving thanks is an essential part of the Christian faith. Emphasize this idea by highlighting the idea of thanksgiving on your church sign with messages such as the following:
- Thank God Today, Thanksgiving Day, and Every Day.
- This Thanksgiving Day, Thank God for Christ's Blood Shed.
- When you have nothing, be thankful for living.
- Join us inside for true thanksgiving to the Lord.
- Let our lives be full of thanks and giving.
- When life gives you more than you can stand, kneel and give thanks.
- What if you woke up today with only what you thanked Him for yesterday?
Scripture About Thanks and Giving
You may also want to use verses from the Good Book to bring home the importance of thanksgiving as part of the Christian tradition. Consider putting the verse on your sign, and then follow up with an invitation to join in thanksgiving at your next service:
- I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart. I will tell you of all your wonderful deeds. — Psalms 9:1
- Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. — Psalm 95:2
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. — Philippians 4:6
- Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever. — 1 Chronicles 16:34
- The trumpeters and musicians joined in unison to give praise and thanks to the Lord. — 2 Chronicles 5:13
Christmas Sign Ideas
An angel of the Lord brought Mary the news she was going to have a son and appeared to Joseph, and angels appeared to shepherds tending their flocks to bring news of the new King. A sign can help you carry forward the tradition of angelic messages in the modern age. Jesus is the reason for the season, and there are all kinds of ways to share this idea with your church sign.
Use your sign to announce special church services, holiday fundraisers, Christmas parties, and other events, but also consider encouraging people to embrace the true reason for the season with the following sayings:
- A baby changes everything. Merry Christmas.
- Wise men still seek him. Do you?
- Fill this season with heavenly rejoices.
- The spirit of Christmas is love. Open your heart to Jesus today.
Great Bible Verses for Christmas Signs
Or take inspiration from the Bible and pop up one of these verses:
- The word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. — John 1: 14
- The Lord himself will give you a sign. The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and we will call him Immanuel. — Isaiah 7:14
- Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. — Luke 2:9
- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. — Luke 2:11
Alternatively, you may just want to stick with the iconic and deeply moving John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Entice the Faithful with Christmas Carols
Christmas can be a great time to entice new people to come to your church or to bring lapsed members back to the fold, and many people of all faiths love Christmas carols. They have fond memories of singing these songs as children and highlighting them on your sign can elicit positive memories and hopefully bring people through the door. Consider putting some of these lyrics on your church sign:
- O little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie.
- Hark! the herald angels sing, Glory to the newborn King!
- Joy to the world, the Lord is come, let earth receive her King.
- Silent night, holy night! All is calm, all is bright.
- O come, all ye faithful joyful and triumphant!
Even if people don't join you, you can rest assured that they will be humming or singing these tunes after they drive by your church sign, and you'll have put a little Jesus in their heart for the day.
New Year's Messages for Church Signs
Everyone wants to ring in the New Year on the right foot, and you can use your church sign to remind people of the importance of renewing their faith.
- Start the new year with Jesus
- New journey, new beginning, same God
- Christ was born to bring new life. May the New Year renew life and faith in you.
- Daily devotions, not yearly resolutions.
There are also many Bible verses focused on the idea of renewal and new life. Consider these ideas:
- Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. — Psalms 51: 10
- And do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. — Romans 12:2
- For this reason, I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God. — 2 Timothy 1:6
Don't be afraid to inject a little comedy into your messages. A bit of pithy humor can make people chuckle, while also helping them to see church in a renewed light:
- May all your troubles be as short as your New Year’s resolutions
- This New Year, choose the bread of life. Or, you're toast.
- Now open between Christmas and Easter.
A church sign lets you put all kinds of fun messages into the community. At Stewart Signs, we offer a variety of church signs that can help you spread the good news for the fall holidays and the other times of the year. Contact us today to learn about the benefits of quality signage for our house of worship.