OPEN APPLICATION PERIOD ANNOUNCEMENT: The Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response Grants (SAFER) Application Period will open on January 3, 2022 at 8:00am ET and close on February 4, 2022 at 5:00 pm ET.
There is $560 million available through the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grants to be awarded to fire departments and volunteer firefighter interest organizations. Help your fire department improve their recruitment and retention with a new LED sign at no cost to you!
Ready to get started? The first step is to contact us to receive an artistic rendering and sign designed for your needs. This sign proposal can then be used in the SAFER Grant application.
What is a SAFER grant?
SAFER grants are financial assistance programs provided to fire departments through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). These grants are to help fire departments attract new firefighters, retain existing firefighters, rehire laid off firefighters, and fulfill traditional missions of the fire department while staying compliant with regulations established by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). The grant has two main activities:
- Hiring – Provides federal assistance to help fire departments with the hiring of new firefighters or rehiring laid off fire firefighters.
- Recruitment and Retention – Assists fire departments with recruitment and/or retention of volunteer firefighters.
To receive funding for an outdoor LED sign for your fire department, you need to apply for a grant under Recruitment and Retention.
Who is eligible for a SAFER grant?
All fire departments are eligible to apply for SAFER grants. However, if you want to use the funds for a sign, you must apply for a recruitment and retention grant, and you must be a volunteer fire department. Career fire departments are not eligible.
How does outdoor LED signage qualify?
LED signage is an eligible expense because it falls into the Marketing Program section of Recruitment and Retention Activity. Under this program, you can apply for funding for print materials, which includes signs, billboards, and newspaper marketing. Below is some important information to include on your application.
- Include a detailed description on your current recruitment and retention issues.
- A strong explanation on how an LED sign will improve your current recruitment and retention issues, and the role it will play in your additional marketing efforts.
- Specific description of the sign, and its cost.
What information is needed for the application?
To start, complete, and submit your SAFER grant application, your fire department must provide a valid and active:
- Dun & Bradstreet Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number. For information on how to obtain a DUNS number, visit Grants.gov.
- Employer Identification Number (EIN). These are assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- System for Award Management (SAM) registration. You can check your status, renew, and register at SAM.gov.
For applications submitted with intent to use funds for LED signage, you may need an Environmental and Historic Preservation (EHP) review before installing an LED sign in front of your fire department. If required, you will not be able to receive the funds until the review is complete. This process may also include a written procurement policy that meets Federal Procurement Standards.
Where do you apply for a SAFER grant?
Applications are available electronically during the open application period, which varies each year. The 2021 application period will be open from 8:00am ET on January 3, 2022 and closes at 5:00pm ET on February 4, 2022. Applications can be submitted through the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program’s FEMA GO portal, the US Fire Administration (USFA) and the Grants.gov websites.
For additional help, contact the SAFER Program Help Desk at 866-274-0960 for assistance. If you plan to purchase an LED fire department sign from Stewart Signs, we can also help you with this process.
Is your fire department ready for free LED sign? Quality LED signage will help you improve recruitment, promote events, announce important safety information, and serve your community. Contact us today to learn more about the benefits of a new fire department sign.