SAFER Grant Money Available
Need a better way to get your message out to your community about recruitment, staffing and other needs?
Stewart Signs offers dozens of sign models and configurations to expand the reach of your message to the public and a SAFER Grant can help you get started with recruitment and retention.
So what is a SAFER Grant?
SAFER (Staffing for Adequate Fire & Emergency Response) is offered by FEMA through the AFG (Assistance to Firefighters Grant) Program and has $340 million available this year for departments nationwide! The goal of SAFER is to assist the local fire departments with staffing and
deployment capabilities so they may respond to emergencies assuring their communities have adequate protection from fire hazards.
Other things the SAFER Grant covers:
- Length of service awards
- Tuition Assistance
- Lost wage reimbursement
- Insurance packages
- Marketing costs to recruit new members (a Stewart Sign can help with this)
- PPE for new members
- Grant Writer’s fee
5 Helpful tips when applying
Know your DUNS Number & EIN. Your application must contain a DUNS (Data Universal Numbering System) number & EIN (Employer Identification Number) To look up your DUNS number click HERE. To find your EIN number, call the IRS Business & Specialty Tax Line at 1-800-829-4933.
Get registered for SAM (System for Award Management) HERE. Your SAM registration status must be active when you apply, when you are awarded and throughout the duration of your federal award. Registration can take up to 2 weeks so get started NOW!
Tip # 3:
Get registered for FEMA HERE. You must have an active FEMA registration status to apply for the grant. This link also provides other valuable information to assist you through the application process.
Know your needs and gather facts:
- What are your current recruitment and retention activities?
- Have you conducted a risk analysis and/or staffing needs analysis?
- What are your current staffing levels?
- Do you need a marketing plan as a part of your program?
- Are you having difficulty retaining members due to a lack of incentives and/or benefits?
- What was your call volume for 2015?
- What was your budget for 2015?
- How did this compare with the budgets for the past three to five years?
- How do your actual income and expenses compare to your budgets?
Use this LINK for a handy checklist to assist you in your fact gathering
Understand how your application will be judged.
The review process consists of:
- Technical review – numbers are crunched by a computer.
- Peer review of narratives – two reviewers read and score your narrative!
Attention to detail matters. Narratives are important BUT your narratives will only be read if your application passes technical review, there is no room for error.
Other Helpful Information:
Don’t wait until the AFG application period opens to begin planning your grant request. You can take action now to begin preparing a competitive grant application.
A “competitive application,” as defined by FEMA, contains (1) all of the information required by the application and meets all eligibility and award criteria and (2) requests support for activities that are high priorities for AFG funding.
See FEMA’s video on getting a grant: https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/videos/83188
Need grant writing help? A potential resource is a company such as: http://grantmastersinc.com/
When you’re ready to apply visit*: https://www.fema.gov/assistance-firefighters-grant
*Application window opens on March 26, 2018 at 8:00AM and will close on Friday, April, 27, 2018 at 5:00PM ET.